Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm back

After some time off I've decided it's time to get back into the game. I still have some lose ends to deal with in my lab but they are minor and do not require me to see my lab mates or my PI again (I hope). Unfortunately following my defense Dr. AH decided to send me one last absurd e-mail. And I have to say this one hurt.

Hi Dr AH,

I have to turn in a progress report to the NIH for my fellowship. One of the requirements for the report is a sponsor statement. Would you like to fill it out and sign it? Or would you prefer I fill it out, email it to you then you can sign it. Which ever you prefer. I need to have this progress report submitted by the end of the week. I have already spoken with my NIH contact to discuss the changes regarding my original proposal which she approved. These changes are the following:

1. I will be terminating my contract/fellowship one and a half years early (specifically this May when I graduate).
2. My stipend will be adjusted accordingly.
3. Given the approval of my sponsor (you) and my committee, I have met the requirements for graduation by completing two co-author publications and my # paper.
4. Following my defense, my final obligations include a few experiments for the genetics paper and the completion of my dissertation.
5. I will also use the remaining misc. funds to attend one scientific conference.

And one last question. We never finished our discussion regarding if you were willing to write a strong letter of recommendation on my behalf. This is important to sort out, for obvious reasons. I see no reason why we should have to meet with # about this. Either you are or you aren't and I will accept either decision you come to.

Best,
CFS


Dr AH's response:

CFS,

It is probably best if you fill out the progress report--you were not in my lab for the last 6 months or so, so clearly I can't say much about what you have done.


I am unwilling to write a letter of recommendation.

The best thing I can say is that the entire affair of your education has been extremely disappointing, and I will leave it at that.

It is critical, in my view, for you to get me a completed thesis by the date we agreed on, March 1, so we can get all of this behind us.

Do make sure that # knows where all your strains are, and that they get transferred to our -180 freezer. Thanks.

Dr AH



Well now that I got my answer it's time to move on. To what I'm not exactly sure yet. But it's a big world out there and I'm confident that I will find a way to play in it. So here's to playing in the big bad world. Cheers.



14.9% alc., 120 cases, $150. 3.51 acres, 15 year-old vines, yield 1.28 tons per acre of Calera clone. This wine is crafted by Sashi Moorman in Lompoc. · Very dark reddish-purple color. A shy and brooding nose which starts out with woodsy and barnyard aromas but evolves nicely revealing bright fresh berries, violets and a hint of tobacco. Rich, plush and multilayered on the palate featuring dark stone fruits and flavors of fig and cola framed by a lively edge of acidity. The texture is pillowy and the finish, which has a citrus peel note, lasts and lasts. There still are substantial tannins to shed. Decant if you drink now and pair up with substantial food. This wine will cellar very well. Reviewed May 7, 2009.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - his response was pretty harsh. But at least you know where you stand. Do what you have to do to wrap things up and get the hell out of Dodge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the continued asshattery. But as PiT said, at least you know and are not trying to guess what he will/will not say. The PhD adviser of a colleague wrote a letter of recommendation essentially, "He speaks his native language well." Still he ended up with a postdoc in a respected lab at a widely recognized university. That is to say, even without your adviser's LoR, you can still go places. Do what has to be done, then move on. Best of luck with the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree, I needed to know where I stood. Ha, one thing I didn't say was that I do have 3 other great letters of rec. including the Dean of the College of Science....so take that Dr. AH you fuck!

    Quoting Scarface from Half Baked -
    [quitting]
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!




    Thanks for the support! Its good to be back.

    ReplyDelete